About This Project
ZATURN™: Visual, Interactive, Intuitive, Immersive User Experience with Mac OS X and Object Orientated Programming -- Think Tank and Sandbox
Zaturn is a planet in a parallel universe, whose existence cannot be registered, but its influence is felt, thus its discovery and exploration is an exciting challenge.
- Objective-C components and utilities
- development with a purpose to emphasize connection with the roots of pure object-oriented concepts of Smalltalk. Cocoa API, Model-View-Controller design pattern, extensible object model, component and pluggable application development. Communication between Cocoa-based application or components and scripting environment or declarative UI. Another special interest is distributed applications with remote objects invocation and inter-process, inter-machine communication. Exploiting possibilities of late binding feature of Objective-C within these goals, as well as Key-Value Coding and Observing. Exposing the Cocoa runtime environment to external bindings with scripting and other languages, such as PyObjC, RubyCocoa, CamelBones, Cocoa#.
- picking up the original fascination of HyperCard, which was manifested in Toolbook for Windows. Explore the natural language metaphor, a unique ability extend syntax with the use of library components. Overcome the notion that AppleScript is a more read than write friendly, that is find ways to increase intuitive use of language constructs. Use of AppleScript in a dynamic, interactive environment with visual cues and other means to boost intuitive use of the objects and their constructs.
- Core Graphics and Quartz, OpenGL and GLUT
- using the immense hardware and OS capabilities with the purpose of scientific modeling, immersive game development. Expose the 3D API to high-level scripting and declarative, as well as mathematical and functional languages [olegykj]. Special interest is games with highly visual experience and characters, whose behavior is programmed by the user and in game-time they play independently.
- Plugins for Digital Media Applications
- iMovie, iPhoto, Final Cut, etc, which provide a platform for visual experimentation and creative design of media directly as well as other areas, such as science modeling, game development, etc. Explore possibilities of elevating the API to high-level languages, such as scripting, declarative as POV-Ray or interactive, such as Quartz Modeler.
- Web Development
- Dashboard Widgets
- C++ UI Libraries
- Carbon-based Library for GUI applications [Wiki:Carbon]. In the spirit of MacApp and HiView, a high-level productive framework for RAD GUI development. Use of a C++ library provides potential for abstraction and cross-platform portability. Choice of C++ gives object orientation and performance benefits. Use of such framework, besides concrete applications, is a basis for implementing a declarative UI engine, such as for scripting or declarative languages.
- Web-based CMS for the project
- some of Blog, Wiki, Forum, RSS, Portlets/Portal, Annotated bookmark repository. Web portal to reflect the developments in current project as well as by others in similar areas of interest. More mature continuation of [olegyk:MacDevPlus].
- Database Environment: SQLite
- Intended Audience: Developers, End Users/Desktop
- License: GNU Library or Lesser General Public License (LGPL)
- Operating System: OS X
- Topic: HTML/XHTML, Simulation, Dynamic Content, 3D Modeling, Video, Intelligent Agents
- Translations: English
- User Interface: Cocoa (MacOS X), OpenGL, Project is a user interface (UI) system, Plugins, Quartz, Web-based